Festive Season Security Risks & Solutions for Construction Sites
November 22, 2018
Is Your Property Protected During Load Shedding?
December 11, 2018
Show all

Insurance Tips for The Holiday Season

Going on a long holiday?

If you’re leaving your home unoccupied for more than 60 days, it’s important to notify us in advance to find out if there are any special requirements you’ll need to comply with.

If your property is vacant for more than 60 consecutive days, your cover against loss or damage by theft or burglary will lapse. This is unless your insurer agrees to extended your cover in writing and you’ve paid any additional premiums required.

A vacancy rate of more than 60 days may also mean that your cover for loss or damage caused by water, flooding and fire is limited.

For example: for any claim for damages caused by burst pipes or geysers to be considered, you’ll likely be required to switch off your water mains while the property is unoccupied.

Depending on the costs involved, it might make financial sense to employ a house sitter.


Taking your bike on holiday?

Your bike should be automatically covered under the household contents section of your policy, which means that while it’s inside your home or any outbuildings linked to your private residence, it will be insured against theft, burglary or fire.

But it’s when you take your bike outside of your home that things become interesting …

To make sure you’re properly covered whilst away, please contact us with the following information: make of bicycle, model, serial number and sum insured.

You should also insure your bicycle for its replacement value – what it would cost to buy a similar bike brand new.

If your bicycle is left unattended away from your home, it must be:

  • locked to a fixed structure with an approved lock, chain or cable
  • kept in a locked building
  • kept inside your car
  • or securely fixed to a bicycle carrier on your car

An approved lock, chain or cable should be at least 12mm thick with an integrated lock or closed-shackle padlock.

Knowing your bike is properly insured means you’ll be able to really enjoy using it during your holiday.

Drones are fun. But …

Drones have become incredibly popular in the past few years. With high-end options such as camera and video recording equipment, the use of drones has exploded for hobbyists and photographers and they’ve become a heavily gifted item for special occasions, or just for fun.

If you have a drone, remember that it must be specified and that cover is typically restricted to theft and accidental damage only.

Cover whilst in use and for personal liability injuries are excluded. Picture yourself flying your drone when it suddenly loses power and crashes into your neighbour’s car. Your drone is destroyed, and the car has been damaged too. Who pays? Probably not your current insurance.

There are just too many ways in which a drone can sustain or cause damage, so be extra careful when flying your new toy around the neighbourhood because it’s likely you’ll have to cough up for replacement costs as well as cover any resulting damage.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Message Us on WhatsApp